Sunday, March 21, 2010

Seven...

This very moment in 2003 i was wondering just how long the ordeal at hand was going to last. My wife was in pain and had been for hours...and hours. Well, until the anesthesiologist came in and...administered. I believe the immediate relieved statement was..."Bruce is my friiiiiieeeend."

A few hours later we had the most beautiful baby girl i had ever seen. Maybe it was because i was her dad...maybe...but i'm one of those guys that when i see an ugly baby...well...its ugly. Not all babies are beautiful to me...but this one...all prejudice aside, was truly beautiful...and no, i wasn't the only one that thought so.

Its funny, i was always apprehensive about holding infants. I liked holding babies, but generally anything less than six months old was...awkward for me, emotionally. When she came, i couldn't hardly WAIT to hold her, and it came as naturally as if some innate dexterity took over and when she was in my arms...all was right with life.

Seven...

today...

She's too long to wrap tightly in my arms now, she's got arms and legs everywhere. So i content myself to nuzzle her still baby soft hair and remember seven years ago today. The moment she turned her head towards me when i called her name and spoke gently to her laying in the warmer...she had me tightly wrapped around her wee little finger...and she still does...and always will.

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Happy Birthday to your eldest filly. They do eventually grow to their arms and legs and their teeth.

Anonymous said...

She is a-blooming into a lovely little gal - her hair is gorgeous - I remember when we had to coerce her into letting us near with a brush!!! LOVE the Bronco shirt too !
HONEY

Buck said...

A belated Happy Birthday to the eldest, Jay. You have every right to be the proud papa!

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Thanks y'all...yep, she's growin'...way too fast.

Anonymous said...

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and this beholder sees the beauty on the inside as well as the outside. I see reflections of her father.....
Little girls are soft & warm with ruffles & ribbons & full of charm, They'll steal your heart with a flip of a curl, Look wistfully in your eye and say "I'm Daddy's girl."