Tuesday, March 23, 2010

If i've said it once...

i've said it once...

"If you wanna eat like a foodie...you gotta THINK like a foodie!"

People say to me all the time..."Oh...you're a GOURMET cook."(heavy emphasis on the capitalized) I honestly despise that word...no folks...i just like to eat good food...and when living here, in THE BLACK HOLE of good food...one is impelled to construct it home style. Hence, my thoughtful BIL (and his opportunistic, attentive wife) gave me Julia Child's masterwork for Christmas this last year. I'm making good use. So tonight...Poulet Champagne (it was supposed to be Porto, but i never keep port) and Haricot Verts Sauce Creme.

Folks, be advised, before you open the spread below...it...was... un...freaking...believable. Both cremes were...ambrosia on the palette. The chicken in and of itself (one of the farm fresh organics) was...like a soft morsel of buttery popcorn with a heavy chicken overtones...but then slathered on top a...silken, mushroom laden bechamel laying like a satin sheet over Aphrodite.

The green beans were no less provocative...and they didn't disappoint...My culinary journey has proved to me that fresh blanched green beans make canned taste like day old grass clippings. I made three trips to the well...or was it four (counting the initial)?

The two and a half hours of prep time were fully rewarded. The Royals loved the coup de grace with the lighting of the cognac...and the blue flame dancing in their eyes like visions of sugarplums...

Behold...



I know...pulling the creme sauce straight across the plate IS a bit cheesy... i shoulda pulled it into a curly Q.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks soooooo good. So, this opportunistic SIL is requesting a dish or two to be made when you all come up for the big push. Baby and mummy both will be truly grateful!

Deanne

Catiche said...

And what did I say about this. Good restaurants start because someone at home has talent... Yumster.