Monday, December 10, 2007

Cold Start

OK OK, i promise...i'll start writing something, ANYTHING. I've been away too long, and i'm sorry. I just got sidetracked...alot.

Of a fashion, getting restarted blogging is kinda like going out on one of those crisp, cold, cold mornings and cranking over that old truck thats been sitting there for months...WOWOWOWWOWWOWWwwww....WOWOWOWOWOWWWwwwowowowwwww..."C'mon baby!"...WOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWWwwwWWWOW...

I was watching Princess #1 dancing this morning, she was in a mood...all day. I guess The Queen and i should talk a little more seriously about those dance lessons. Reason #1- She tells me all the time that she wants to grow up and be a ballerina. Reason #2- She dances all the time. Reason #3- Apparently, she needs the lessons. Case in point, today she pirhouetted herself right into the sub box on the floor. She there for a couple seconds in stunned silence and then the siren wailed. And if i could borrow a short phrase from one of my absolute favorite reads...

Me- *blink*

She- Turned around, writhing in pain and hopped over to me. Had the neighbors been home they would've been looking for a tornado, i was just looking in her mouth which was slowly filling up with blood from a small gash in her tongue. She also had a pretty dark knot forming on her chin. It reminded me of the first time she fell down and busted her lip open. She was just maybe 7-8 months old and cracked her mouth on a short fall into something or other. At the time it was so strange for me to hold my daughter, her blood soaking into an icy, wet cloth and all i could do was just try to comfort her. It was so...different. One of those "fatherly" moments i will probably never forget. Now, its just, "Lemme see, mmHmmm, mmmhmmmm, your all right, everythings gonna be ok...what? yes, its bleeding but its gonna be ok...com'ere your all right, stop cryin'" Of course, there's all the holding and soothing, and the crying subsides and the normalcy returns. Parenthood continues. We sat down and watched "A Christmas Carol". It was the 1984 version with George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge, the dude could just freaking ACT. Anyway, i wasn't exactly sure how the girls were going to deal with the "spirits" of Christmas but they were pretty good with the finale, when Scrooge does his 180. They were both into it by then and began dancing around when Cratchett got the turkey.

Speaking of food, I fixed some Boeuf Bourguignonfor dinner. That's the french way of saying "really good beef stew" I highly recommend it, although i did the "not-so-long" version and it only took about 2 1/2 hours in all, instead of marinating overnight. As a side, i chose some asparagus sauteed in bacon grease, onions, fresh garlic, and of course the bacon. I digress, my point of all this is to say that The Prince DEVOURED the asparagus and quickly made his way through the bowl of stew. Therefore, he earned his obligatory Oreo's. Here's the fallout.

Ahhh, the old truck still runs...nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! About the fatherly moment with the blood...

My eldest, who is now 12, fell when he was 13 months old and split open his hand. I was at work and it was my husband's day off. He took our baby to the Pede, got the little guy's cut glued shut, and when I came home, I was asking and he pretty much gave the same description you did. You brought that memory back in a rush. I said it was surreal to watch the blood of his first born come out of his hand. And... my husband is in the medical profession. He sees blood ALL the time. But yet, with his son, he said it was the oddest feeling. Now? He's like you... mops it up, tells them to suck it up and keep on going. ;)

mornin'lady said...

yes the truck still runs and is running nicely, I for one am happy to see that your back Mr.Palmer