Friday, October 21, 2022

Thoughts on my Children

There was a time in each of your lives when your mom and i were your heroes, your best friends, your raison d'etre.  I can remember times when each of you would look at us with complete and absolute love and trust.  Moments when the greatest part of your day was when we got home from work and you couldn't contain your joy at seeing us.  Sometimes that seems like just last week and now you're all grown, making your own choices,  pursuing your own dreams.   Not that there's anything wrong with that,  i just miss those earlier days.  They were precious few, and i didn't realize how fast they would float by like a clouds in a beautiful spring sky.  Even though i tried to savor them, they are but flavorful memories of a bygone feast. 

I suppose its the reality that all who love their children as time marches on and children grow.  I mean,  i get it,  i was the same with my parents. But, I am facing that now from the other direction. 

As i do,  i realize that i miss the softness of your cheek on mine, the pressure of your tiny hands around my finger, the rhythmic rise and fall of the blanket while you peacefully sleep on my chest.  The bright smiles in a dawn lit room standing in your crib extending your arms to hold us for the first time that day.  The smell of baby lotion spread on your back and arms and legs after a warm bath.  So many thousands of little memories that come like droplets of rain reminding me of a time when i was more than just dad.  I was your Daddy.

It all reminds me of how Abba must feel sometimes.   Oh how He loves us.  Let us not think of him just as God, or even Yahweh... but as Daddy.... and lift our hands to hold him... as closely as possible. 

It's hard to explain to you how much i love you all... each of you.   I'm looking forward to these coming years to watching you all continue to grow and mature... someday... maybe someday... I'll be your hero again. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see you blogging again. Your recent posts match many of the thoughts that I've had recently. Sláinte!

Bo