Thursday, April 08, 2010

Pickin' Bones...

Now...y'all know i like cookin'...and lately its been French. In fact, last night it was Fondue de Poulet a la Creme (chicken simmered with cream and onions), some peas with butter and shallots, and sweet corn maque choux. Of course, the maque choux ain't French, it's Cajun...well, more Creole, but it just seemed to fit (and no, i don't need the history lesson on the Accadians or Accadiana and maque choux). Lord... I'll be making that one again.

While we're on the subject...one of my favorite subjects...i suppose its time to let y'all know somethin. I've embarked on a journey into food. I realize that most of you are thinking, "Dude, that is not news." Ahhh, but it is.

See, for years i've been cooking with inferior products and it has affected my health and the health of my family. I've decided that its time for a Change...if i could borrow a bastardized slogan. The quality of processed food available for purchase at your local DevilMart or Sam's or Homeland or Publix or...you get the picture, is mediocre at best and harmful at worst (because of the hormones, pesticides, or chemically altered states that they are in).

Well, dude, if you can't buy food there, a) Where do you plan on getting it? and b) How much do you plan on PAYING for "higher quality food"? Those are excellent questions... and to keep from boring you with the particulars...Farmer's Markets, Food Co-ops, and...of all things, local dairies...that's right folks...they STILL exist. In fact, we are visiting a local farm on Saturday to do a face to face handshake and sit down around their table and talk homestyle food. We'll be getting all of our dairy from him in the future.

Raw Jersey milk...and when we get it home, that will be processed into fresh cream butter, heavy cream, creme fraiche, mozzarella, cottage cheese, sour cream, you get the picture. The way it works is...we'll buy into his herd, as in, a herdshare program. Yeah you read that right...we'll be cow owners by proxy! Oh and...i've started a much larger garden this year.

How much more am i gonna be paying for this? Glad you asked. I've done a cost analysis for the last quarter of our buying habits at our local dairy store (where we get more than just dairy by the way). Even with fuel cost, we'll STILL be $32/month LESS than what we've been spending...for a higher quality product. Not just better tasting, but infinitely better for us from a nutritional standpoint.

So eatin' at the Roundtable will be much better than just good vittles. Honestly, i can't wait to start cookin with REAL creme fraiche, and REAL heavy cream...my mouth just waters thinkin about it.


Guess i'm gettin back to my roots. Which segues nicely into this...
Being a self-proclaimed foodie, i've eaten in some nice restuarants, and i've eaten in some spoons, and honestly, for the most part, i've had better food and much better time in the spoons. There is a time quickly coming in my life when i'm gonna hafta deal with these types of folks on a much more personal level much more frequently...and when they start crawlin under my skin, i'll just remember my Hillbilly Bone...



Now y'all know you've always wanted to do somethin like that! I know i have...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goin' back to your roots, huh? Maybe some of your Gpa's farming genes were passed down to you. I still like to get my hands dirty in my flower beds. Why you didn't have lamb growin' up was because MAMA didn't care for it. But since my son the COOK is fixin' it I could be persuaded to try it again. Winter Woman

Buck said...

Sounds like an interesting voyage is afoot. I'll be watching for updates...

Catiche said...

And on that topic... Amish butter. Comes in a roll, is sweet, free from junk, and is produced by cows that eat only sweet feed and have not been injected full of antibiotics and hormones.

Makes me picture those cows standing on two legs, speaking Moo, and busily churning their own cream into butter.