Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Randomizer...

Ever read that Calvin and Hobbes series where Calvin builds a transmogrifier and clones himself? Well, then you need to. For those of you fortunate enough to have done so, you will understand when i tell you that i somehow walked unawares into a Randomizer. So watch out i'm a little disorganized in my thoughts, i'm giving you fair warning that i'll probably be all over the road.

I grew up in a complete family atmosphere...Dad, Mom, and two older brothers (who were, at the time of my entrance 9 and 7 respectively). Thankfully, my parents remained and are still married, and are in fact, having their 50th anniversary at the end of this year. But that's not really what i'm foraging through my brain about today.

I always wanted a sister, older/younger, didn't matter...i guess preferably older since i kinda dig the "baby o' the clan" role. Don't get me wrong, i certainly don't begrudge my parents for not trying a little harder, i was a last ditch effort at a girl as it was. It just wasn't in the cards. I just always thought that there are certain things that one understands when one has sister(s). I'm not really targeting anything specific here, more of a shotgun approach (6 ga. area). I just think that those who grow up in a normal family unit, where both sexes are represented within the progeny of said unit, are more well rounded in the normal everyday dealings with those of the opposite gender. No, nothing has happened...just random thoughts i've always had from 40 years of observation.

I also like putting potato chips on my sandwiches. There's just something about that *crunch* when your biting through. Like today, i made the kids and i these sandies, pretty much the average i suppose...Sweet hawaiian bread, smoked virginia ham, mesquite turkey, smoky sharp cheddar, provolone, and slathered with Peppercorn Ranch. I started to throw on some roma's and then i saw the blue corn Tostito's...oh YEAH BABY! Although adding chips to a sandwich does make you feel, and probably look, like Discovery Channel anaconda working through a hippo, and if you haven't seen that one, its pretty intense. But, anyway, it doesn't really matter the sandwich, although not PBJ, it works. I've even put them on burgers.

Moving on...i took my own advice last night and had my daily ration of vino, care of MamaLou's son, Bo (thankyou again, kind sir!). I've had Malbec's before but THIS particular label, Gougenheim Valle Escondido 2006, was pretty daggone good. I'm not going to attempt a review right now...i just don't feel like it. Although i would agree with this one,

"...tangy cherry and sweet plum on the nose with firm acids buffered by loads of sweet fruit".

But what i will do for you wino's out there is direct you to a pretty fantastic site where you can not only ORDER your own wine, but comment, review and save to your own wine profile!

Reader...meet Snooth...Snooth...this is gentle reader.

I'll let you two get aquainted.

9 comments:

Buck said...

"...tangy cherry and sweet plum on the nose with firm acids buffered by loads of sweet fruit".

Dontcha just LOVE wine critics and their language? I mean, there just has to be an "English 417" (or something similar... maybe post-graduate) that concentrates on adjectives and metaphors for the exclusive use of wine critics...

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Yeah, they didn't offer that class at my school. Hence..."pretty daggone good".

inpassing said...

Mr. Napkins really likes Calvin & Hobbes.

Funny, having grown up with 3 sisters, I always wanted a brother.

Potato Chips on a sandwich sound really good. I like crunchy things on salads...helps to break the monotony of the lettuce.

mornin'lady said...

what, I always put the chips on those nasty bolgna sandwiches my mother sent in my school lunches. It helped them actually stay down after the taste buds started screaming yuck! Funny thing though, I've been known to occasionally and in secret, with chips, eat one of those nasty bologna sandwiches in my old age.I'm sure they don't compare with the described delicacy in this post.

I too grew up with 3 sisters, wishing desperately for a brother. As a watchful parent of both genders I can truthfuly say I would most surely of had much more of an advantage, a lot earlier back in life, in the petty gender disagreements that pop up from time to time. Another words, I would have shut up more :)

Thanks for the wine info, we are shopping for a new taste, We are tiring of the same ole, same ole.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with a sister and a brother. I was always very cognizant in the dating arena because of my brother. I made sure I was always up front and the expenditure of money on me always made me uncomfortable... I'd always suggest a picnic or something really really cheap, like bowling... and I always offered to pay or return the favor.

And I always wonder if my boys will think women mysterious. I don't know if they'll see things from another perspective, not ever witnessing a sister going through a heart break or being treated shabby by someone, just as an example. i do wonder if they'll be more afraid of women, less comfortable around them, or put them on a pedestal because they don't have sisters.

Time will tell...

Bag Blog said...

I grew up between two brothers and let me tell you, I can hold my own. I always wanted a sister and low and behold when I was almost 13, my parents gave me one. It was not exactly what I had in mind since there was such an age difference, but it was good. I'm glad my mom finally had a girl.

Beverly J. says that Alex was great until he got a brother-in-law who taught him what boys really did.

My brother has three boys - they really needed a girl to make their boys better men, but the old "approval of man" won over since they had three kids already.

Anonymous said...

New reader - thru Lex and Buck. Wine is the nectar in my house (though The Hubby is known to partake of a Glenlivet or Woodford's Reserve...heck, so do I). Anywho - fwiw, our fave wine of the moment is of the Italian variety - Le Volte. It's a SuperTuscan and just can't be beat for anything English 417 phrase you want to try to put to it.

Ambrosia in the mouth; pair it with a kickin' bowl of Risotto and my oh my...

Just my 2 cents. Fun site! I'll be back...

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Mrs. Napkins, just one more note to add to the list of why i like Mr. Napkins.

DOP, funny...after each paragraph in your post i found i kept saying one word..."really?"

Bou, well said...i think, in retrospect, this was me...
"i do wonder if they'll be more afraid of women, less comfortable around them, or put them on a pedestal because they don't have sisters."

MamaLou, rest assured its not the last socioeconomic norm that has stopped the weeble wobble production...its just what i had in mind from the start.

Kris, WELCOME! Please take all future yankee comments with the grain of salt which they are intended. Uncle Buck i understand making the Table a recommendation..but are you telling me that LEX recommended it? If that's the case, i AM honored! I'll try to keep my blood stained, camo hat from popping off my swelling head. Go ahead, use the needle if you must...but let me bask in it for a couple days before you do. Funny you should mention the Super Tuscan...MamaLou's son and i were just discussing procuring ourselves one of them bottles the other night...now we have a label to put in the crosshairs...thankYOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, in addition to the Le Volte, if you are in the mood for the Super Tuscan, I can also recommend Barbazalle (more of a general Italian table wine, but with Tuscan origins). Also a Valpolicella - many different vintners for that one but we've loved all that we've tried.

These are big, full wines. Salud!

Hmmm...recommendations. I figure any friend of Buck...as for Lex, sorry but no direct recommendation there. Save your own - your recent comments there piqued my interest and gave you your own self-recommendation.

Yankee comments - I may take them with a grain of salt, but I may also give back in my own way...stand warned Piper.